Five Toxic House Plants
POTHOS: Although this plant is one of the most popular house plants, it does have harmful and even uncomfortable effects on human beings. Pothos is known to cause burning in the mouth, skin irritation, lip swelling and even swelling of the tongue and throat. It may also cause diarrhea and a case of vomiting as well.
PHILODENDRON: Because this plant can be easily maintained and looks really lovely, many people have this in their homes. While it is popular, what many people don’t know is that the leaves contain calcium oxalate crystals which are toxic for human and animals.
PEACE LILY: This plant is known to be an excellent air purifier. Like the two plants mentioned above, the symptoms caused by the peace lily plant are very painful and can even be fatal for pets and people. Some of the uncomfortable symptoms include, lip burning and swelling of the tongue which may cause some difficulty in speaking; vomiting, diarrhea. If the toxic symptoms caused by this plant are not treated, then it can cause renal failure, which can be fatal!
OLEANDER: Just like the peace lily, the oleander plants are really good air-purifiers. The toxicity levels is this plant are so high that it really can cause painful symptoms and even death if eaten by pets or people. The symptoms include, lip burning and swelling of the tongue which may cause some difficulty in speaking; vomiting, diarrhea and even nausea.
DIEFFENBACHIA: This plant is also known as the ‘dumb cane’. If eaten, it causes throat and tongue paralysis. It also contains crystals like that of the philodendron plant. This is a large plant and so people usually keep it in a large pot on the floor, making it more accessible to pets.